This is our translation of a legend from the Jambi Province.
Legends of the Batin V
Below is one of the often repeated stories of the Batin V people. We discovered three other legends associated with the Batin V and they accessed by clicking the following three links:
- The 20 Scouts of Koto Rayo
- The Invisible Village of Koto Rayo
- Puyang Depati and His Beautiful Daughter
Legend of the Batin V’s 60 Families
The 60 families that resided in the Village of Koto Rayo moved from its original location because they were often plagued with diseases that originated from the nearby Batanghari River. The 60 families left and searched upstream on the Tabir River till they came upon the location now known as the Village of Tanjung Muaro Semayo. From that village all 60 families spread out into four different locations along the Tabir River where they each built their respective villages. The 60 families were said to have been divided like this:
- The Village of Tanjung Muaro Semayo was built by 19 of the families. It is said that Puyang Depati lived in this village, and that his descendants still reside there.
- The Village of Seling was built by 14 of the families.
- The Village of Kapuk was built by 9 of the families.
- The Village of Pulau Aro was built by 13 of the families, and
- The Village of Muara Jernih was built by 5 of the families.
You can read 57 or more of the Jambi legends we’ve translated by clicking this link.