The City of Kuala Tungkal
The City of Kuala Tungkal is rather small, and still undeveloped. The ground in that area is very flat and low. This creates a condition that makes drainage difficult. Due to this situation, there is a large amount of standing water around homes and businesses, which creates a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Some other things about the city:
- It has a large fishing industry that supplies other areas with fresh fish, shrimp, and other sea foods.
- There is a lot of boat transportation that takes place, as people and cargo are ferried between outlying islands.
- The city is relatively without street lights. It is a very dark city after the sun goes down.
- There are few cars.
- There are many motorcycles, bicycles, and becaks (3-wheel pedal taxis).
- There is a significant drinking water problem. With the land being mostly swamp, the ground water is black. The people are dependent on rain water for their drinking water source.
Below is a video we made of the city, and the pier along the river.
June 20, 2011